I don’t know about you, but I very rarely crave a salad.
I crave breakfast foods, chicken wings, avocados, and tacos. But, salad? Not always top of mind for me.
I know that greens are important, but I would rather eat them wilted next to a steak. Or in an omelet. But, eating fresh greens and vegetables is incredibly beneficial for your gut garden. (Learn more about how to love your guts here.)
For a few fast and easy recipes to feed your gut garden, head over here.
I know that sometimes eating a salad can leave you unsatisfied, and if you are anything like me, still hungry.
But, this salad? It can be beefed up and personalized to your needs and preferences. It is not only healthy and filling but also delicious.
It only takes a little bit of time, and if you save the dressing for taking with you, drizzling it over the top before eating it; you can prep it ahead for the week!
So without further adieu, I present to you, My Big Fat Greek Salad:
Serving size – 4-6
Total time: 10 minutes
- Mixed Greens – 1 Bag (spinach, arugula, and other leafy greens)
- Cherry Tomatoes – 1/2 container (or to taste roughly 1/2 cup sliced)
- Bell Pepper – 1/2 cup chopped
- Red Onion – 1/4 cup thinly sliced
- Pepperccinis – 1/8 cup thinly sliced
- Olives – to taste
- Feta Cheese – to taste
- Organic Greek Salad Dressing (or whip up your own by tossing together olive oil, balsamic, a splash of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings) – 1/4 cup
- Thinly sliced and chopped up salami or pepperoni
- Pumpkin, chia, or pumpkin seeds
- Sundried tomatoes thinly sliced and added in addition to or instead of cherry tomatoes
- Thinly sliced skirt steak (you know, if you have some laying around or want to fancy this dish up for dinner)
Dump the washed greens in a large bowl, then wash the cherry tomatoes and bell pepper. Slice the tomatoes in half; long ways followed by chopping the bell pepper into thin slices or cubes (this is up to your texture preference). Slice onions and add all the veggies to the top of your greens.
Sprinkle on as many olives, pepperoncini, and feta cheese crumbles as you wish. Add any optional toppings as you desire.
Drizzle on the dressing of your choice.
Mix and serve or seal in a glass container (save dressing if you will be saving for later) to keep in the fridge.